Saturday, June 4, 2011

Space and Place: Vatican Museum


     Cattle.  We were herded like cattle.  The Vatican Museums were such a disappointment.  There was some insanely beautiful art and some breathtaking sculptures but I couldn’t admire them because I was distracted by the sweaty French tourists basically climbing over me to reach the Sistine Chapel.  The chapel itself was so upsetting.  The beauty and detail couldn’t even be admired because of the unbelievably rude people who were inside.  They didn’t deserve to see Michelangelo’s genius. 
     First off, everyone was sick.  They were sneezing and coughing and being disgusting all over everyone else.  Secondly, the Sistine Chapel may be a famous piece of artwork, but it is still a church.  I had more respect for that place the most of the Catholics in there (excluding my fellow romekids of course.)  And finally, once I had taken in what little I could, the exit was clogged with people going the wrong direction and being all around rude. 
     I have never seen something so disorganized before in my life.  Of course I loved seeing all the wonderful art (even if most of it was stolen and doesn’t even belong to the Church), but it is extremely difficult to concentrate when you have a seventy-year-old sweaty tourist breathing down your neck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment