Sunday, May 8, 2011

Viviamo a Roma

It’s hard to imagine the first hour of our trip after everything we have done this semester…I guess I’ll just start with the obvious:
          Of course, I was the last one out the door.  Nothing has changed since I was at summer camp and won the last one out of the bunk award for ten years straight.  “Looookin’ fabulous! Viviamo a Roma!” I yelled up ahead to Jordan, who was wearing an adorably appropriate sundress for this gorgeous Italian afternoon.  I took a look around and paused - we were here in Rome - then I realized I was about twenty feet behind everyone else.  I scrambled up to the group and tried to take it all in.  Alissa was already joking about finding a Paolo…or maybe our very own Tony DiNozzo, and I could hear Jackie and Dan already starting to bicker.  “Jackie, what did I say about sandals?  You are going to be so uncomfortable. We have quite the walk and I am not going to wait for you to pray to the Roman god of comfort.” That was Dan.  “Dan, I’ve already given up my heels, I am not sacrificing my pedicure too.   It is just too nice.” Jackie said, only half kidding. 
      Rome was amazing amazing.  I had been daydreaming about it for months.  I was so pleased with myself for being able to identify every column, every façade, every building.  I was constantly distracted by the sights, sounds and smells of Rome.  As a perspective Paolo vroomed his motorino and winked, the sun touched the top of my head as we crossed the Tiber.  It was the exact moment Dan had been  fearing, and it was beautiful. 
         As we made our way to the Campo dei Fiori, my stomach grumbled.  I hadn’t eaten much on the plane unless you count half a banana and an ambien.  I immediately started to think about all the incredible food I would get to eat for the next two weeks.  Fresh made pasta, delicious cheesy pizza, fresh mozzarella and tomato caprese salad! I could not wait to eat. 
       When we got to the Campo dei Fiori, I was in ecstasy.  It was every food lover’s dream and full of dedicated Italian shoppers with net bags for their goods hanging from their wrists.  The vegetables were worthy of a Metropolitan Museum exhibit.  I had never seen anything so perfect and beautiful.  One stall held only herbs, and I stood there for a minute inhaling the scents of basil, oregano, and prezzemolo (parsley).  Another one sold baby artichokes already roasted and ready to eat.  Those artichokes were the first purchase of many, because I went on to buy peaches, strawberries, little mozzarella balls, and the freshest focaccia I’ve ever tasted in my life. 
       At this point I had lost track of everyone, because I was lost in my gastronomic haze.  But the cries of Dan and Jackie finally pierced through my bliss and I rejoined the group.  We were on to the next destination, even if I had to waddle there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment